Sourdough Beer Bread (Schwarzbierbrot).
You can have Sourdough Beer Bread (Schwarzbierbrot) using 16 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sourdough Beer Bread (Schwarzbierbrot)
- It’s of SOURDOUGH PRE-DOUGH:.
- Prepare 120 g of Rye flour.
- Prepare 110 ml of water (slightly less than 1/2 cup).
- You need 1 Tbsp of sourdough starter/mother (12 g).
- You need of POOLISH PRE-DOUGH:.
- Prepare 110 g of whole wheat or whole grain spelt flour.
- It’s 110 ml of water (slightly less than 1/2 cup).
- It’s 2 pinches of active dry yeast.
- Prepare of MAIN DOUGH:.
- Prepare 1 batch of each Finished sourdough + poolish from above.
- Prepare 270 g of bread flour.
- You need 115 g of dark beer or brown ale (1/2 cup).
- Prepare 2 g of active dry yeast (1/2 tsp).
- Prepare 10 g of kosher salt (2 tsp).
- You need 10 g of honey, optional (2 tsp).
- Prepare 1 handful of each flaxseed and sunflower seeds (optional).
Sourdough Beer Bread (Schwarzbierbrot) step by step
- In separate bowls, mix together the ingredients for the Sourdough Pre-dough and the Poolish Pre-dough. Cover each bowl with plastic and let it at room temp for about 20 hours..
- After 20 hours the Sourdough Pre-dough should be a little frothy and bigger. The Poolish Pre-dough will be bubbly and bigger..
- In a large bowl, mix together the two pre-doughs and the rest of the ingredients (except for flaxseed and sunflower seeds) until it comes together into a sticky lumpy dough..
- Remove the dough onto a well-floured cutting board and knead with the palm of your hands: push the dough down with your hand, fold in over itself and push down again, rotating as you go..
- Knead for 15-17 minutes. The dough will become more elastic and smooth. If it sticks a lot to the surface or your hands while kneading, dust with a little more flour and scrape up the dough from the surface to incorporate back in..
- If mixing in flaxseed/sunflower seeds, gradually knead them into the dough after the 15 minutes of kneading..
- Form into a ball and return to the bowl. Cover with plastic and let rise for 2 hours at room temp (the the dough over itself after 1 hour and return to bowl)..
- After 2 hours of rising, remove the dough, turn upside down and fold the sides up to form into a ball again (this helps make sure the exposed part of the dough's skin gets moistened again. Let sit for 20 minutes covered with wrap..
- Form the round dough into a long, cylindrical loaf. Place it fold-side down on parchment paper and let rise for another 30 minutes..
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 480°F/250°C. Place a shallow pan at the bottom rack which we'll use to create steam later. (prepare some boiling water for this too).
- When ready to bake, cut a 1 cm deep slit down the center of the bread. (I sprinkled the top of my bread with flaxseed, but I don't recommend this because it got too dark during baking)..
- Place the loaf on the center rack on a baking sheet and pour boiling water into the pan below it. Bake for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the tray of steaming water. Turn oven down to 430°F/220°C and bake for 30-35 minutes until the crust is dark and crisp..
- Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for about 1 hour..
- Slice and enjoy with butter, cheese, or your favorite accompaniments with bread :).