You can have Sourdough Bread using 6 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sourdough Bread
- It’s 8 oz of "Fed" Sourdough Starter.
- You need 12 oz of warm water (100-110F).
- Prepare 2 tsp of active dry yeast.
- It’s 1/2 oz of sugar.
- It’s 2 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 21 1/4 oz of all-purpose flour (or bread flour).
Sourdough Bread step by step
- Combine all ingredients in mixer. (Referred to as "straight dough method").
- Ensure to scrape down sides of bowl to ensure all ingredients get incorporated..
- With dough hook, mix on medium low speed (2 or 3 depending on mixer) for about 8-12 minutes until a nice soft dough ball forms. This develops gluten in the bread. Dough should pull away from sides of bowl (known as cleanup stage).
- Dough should be tacky feeling. If it seems to tacky, add small Mounts of flour a little at a time while kneeding. Don't add to much extra.
- Note: I add more starter than what recipe calls for; I put about 10-12 ounces of starter based on how I feel, how my starter smells and looks, and just because I can, I started adding more on occasion to experiment to see how different the bread turns out. To me a little more starter makes bread turn out better. Feel free to give it a go if you feel daring..
- Place dough into a large lightly greased bowl and tightly cover with plastic wrap..
- Allow dough to rise until doubled in bulk, about 90 minutes..
- Gently divide dough in two. It will deflate a little..
- Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves, or for longed loaves, two 10" to 11" logs or baguettes. Place on a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour,.
- Note: I used two cloche to do bread in. This is a stone container that will give that stone oven bake to the bread and gives a great crust to it. I make my two logs and place in stone cloche then cover for the second rise. After rise I remove top, cut my slashes on top And lightly spray water from a spray bottle then recover for the bake. This creates a steam that helps develop bread and crust..
- Preheat oven to 425°F..
- Spray loaves with lukewarm water. Cut 2 or 3 slashes diagonal across top. Don't go to deep.
- Bake bread 25-30 minutes. If using cloche, uncover for last 5 minutes of bake to allow crust to be one a deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on rack before cutting.